Q: So, my school has decided to do the Discovery Process. What’s next?
A: Here’s a Top-10 List of primary steps from contract to implementation:
- Invite each of your participating teachers to access the LMS portal, select a password, log on, and surf around a bit.
- Schedule and complete the 4-hour training program designed specifically for school leaders and conducted by the Hyde Institute (live or virtual). Bookmark school leader handbook for future reference.
- Schedule and complete the 8-hour training program for participating teachers (8 hours). Bookmark teacher handbook.
- Organize school homerooms into “Discovery Groups” (mixed aged groups recommended) consisting of 14-16 students and 1 or 2 teachers. (Note: The training includes various scenarios utilized by participating schools.
- Begin each school day with a 15-minute morning “check-in.” (See Daily Check-In module)
- Conduct at least one learning session (30-45 mins.) per week, preferably one per day
- Integrate core activities (e.g., gym class, intramurals, performing arts, community service) into the lessons with debrief sessions after each.
- Administer mid-year school climate and culture surveys developed by the Excellence with Integrity Institute.
- Access online chat option with Hyde Institute consultants for service and support.
- Access monthly instructional webinars presented by Hyde Institute and guest speakers.
Bonus: And most important ingredient of all: Look for and capitalize on the teachable moment throughout the school day. Success is all about putting culture first!