Here’s 20 more random (and great!) songs.
21. “Spiritual” by Charlie Haden and Hank Jones. Steal Away just may be the most soothing and beautiful album in my collection.
22. “You Don’t Know Me” by Van Morrison. Van the Man duets with daughter Shana on this classic number off Days Like This.
23. “Lay Your Head Down” by Keren Ann. Haunting beauty builds to a compelling backbeat off her eponymous 5th album. Grows on you.
24. “Back in the High Life Again” by Warren Zevon. Eerie. Like he’s covering Stevie Winwood from the grave. Off Life’ll Kill You.
25. “Messin’ With The Kid” by Buddy Guy and Junior Wells. Off Drinkin’ TNT & Smokin’ Dynamite. The song and album titles say it all.
26. “I Can’t Hold On” by Karla Bonoff. Off All My Life. Catchy tune from the poor man’s Linda Ronstadt. She should’ve been huge!
27. “Mrs. Potter’s Lullaby” by Counting Crows. Off Films About Ghosts. “..the last one out of the circus has to lock up everything.”
28. “Security Joan” by Donald Fagen. Standard love story: air traveler falls in love with TSA security checkpoint woman…. Off Morph the Cat.
29. “6 Days on the Road” by The Flying Burrito Brothers. Ah, Gram Parsons & Co. on the classic rock chestnut. Off their Anthology.
30. “The Week of Living Dangerously” by Steve Earle. Off Exit 0. “I threw the car seat in the dumpster and headed out into the night.”
31. “Me and the Boys” by Bonnie Raitt. Bonnie nails a rocking cover of the inimitable NRBQ. Off The Q People – A Tribute to NRBQ.
32. “Funny How Time Slips Away/Crazy/Nightlife” medley by Willie Nelson off Willie and Family. Good Labor Day weekend assortment.
33. “Teach Me Tonight” by Erroll Garner. Off Concert by the Sea, a lynchpin of the soundtrack of my youth. Still love that album.
34. “Big Boss Man” by Grateful Dead. Jerry and the boys give good cover to Jimmy Reed original. “…can’t you hear me when I call?”
35. “Guitar Town” by Steve Earle. The title track on his classic 1986 breakout album. “….I gotta 2-pack habit and a motel tan.”
36. “Semi Crazy” by Junior Brown (w/ Red Simpson) Junior’s Guit Steel! “….I got diesel in my blood and 90-weight oil on my brain.”
37. “Warmth of the Sun” by The Beach Boys. A song for heading home from the land of Good Vibrations.
38. “Angel of Mercy” by Dire Straits. Infectious tune off the outstanding Communique. Those guys were awesome!
39. “I Can’t Find My Way Home” by Eric Clapton and Stevie Winwood. Off their new Live at Madison Sq. Garden album. Masterful.
40. “A Good Fool is Hard to Find” by Albert Collins. Cool blues off Cold Snap (1986). Ah, “The Master of the Telecaster,” R.I.P.
Onward, Malcolm Gauld