Tom Dudick II ’95: “Trust in your conscience and travel any chance you get. There is a beautiful world out there waiting to be explored!”

Tom Dudick II ’95
Tom Dudick II ’95

This week we caught up with Hyde-Bath alumnus Tom Dudick II ’95! Since Tom has left Hyde his hard work has brought him to California, Mexico, Ohio and more. He has taken some risks between being a business owner and traveling often but all of those risks have paid off for him. Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice with us Tom!

Describe your career path:

My career started fresh out of College as a Computer Consultant. I was very excited for this opportunity but soon realized that I was miserable typing on a computer all day in a cubicle. So, after much soul searching, I packed my things and moved to Los Angeles, California. I began working at the famous Lighthouse Café in Hermosa Beach, California, just recently featured in La La Land. After 1 ½ years of moving up the ranks I accepted my first management position at a different establishment,and by age 25 I was the General Manager/Owner at one of South Bay L.A.’s busiest bars, Dragon.

I was very fortunate to be a part of something so successful, demanding and rewarding. I found myself accepting a partnership with a new restaurant group that required me to relocate to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Living in Mexico was exhilarating, challenging, rewarding and very fun! Living abroad is something I highly recommend if any of you reading this are ever faced with the opportunity.

I left Mexico to help the company open three more business in L.A. and two in San Diego, where I resided for three years. My second year in San Diego I could not fight the urge to be closer to my family, who all resided on the east coast. So, I found myself back in Cleveland, Ohio with my brother and father. Growing up I had always worked on and off at my father’s company and now I find myself co-owning it with my brother and sister. I am so fortunate to work with my family and love being close to them again after so many years apart.

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?

Humility & Integrity

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?

Jeff Burroughs, Tom Bragg, Randy Smith and Stu Goldberg

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?

Trust in your conscience and travel any chance you get. There is a beautiful world out there waiting to be explored!