Richard Truluck ’88: “Let Go Of Preconceived Notions Of Who You Are”

Richard Truluck '88
Richard Truluck ’88, always happiest on an adventure

We caught up with Richard K. Truluck, a member of the Hyde-alumni class of 1988. Originally from Colombia, South Carolina, Rich now resides in Bath, Maine with his wife and daughters on the Hyde-Bath campus.

Describe your career path.

I attended Lewis & Clark College, majoring in psychology. I currently reside in Bath, Maine as the Associate Head of School. I was involved in the Hyde Wilderness Program, which led me to becoming the Director of Admissions, Dean of Students, Executive Director of Enrollment, Assistant Head of School, and here I am now as Associate Head of School. I am also a science teacher, a football coach, and a women’s lacrosse coach here at Hyde.

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?

Integrity, it represents being who you are, being yourself, and being authentic.

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?

Gary Kent was my coach, teacher, and dorm parent. He got more out of me than anyone else. He wrote my college recommendation, and as a peer, he was a mentor who taught me how to work with students.

Paul Hurd was my teacher, and he was always determined to find the truth. As a peer, he had so much wisdom to share.

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?

Let go of preconceived notions of who you are. Experience your best in many areas.

_______________________________________________

Are you an alum who would like to be featured on hyde.edu?

Email us at alumni@hyde.edu to share your story.