Peter Gels ’08, “Your World Is Bigger Than You Imagine”

Peter Gels '08 on board the Matthew
Peter Gels ’08 on board the LNG Carrier Matthew

We caught up with Peter Gels, a 2008 Hyde-Woodstock graduate. Originally from Boston, Massachusetts, Peter now calls the sea his home.

Describe your career path.

I graduated Massachusetts Maritime Academy in 2011, and received my Bachelors of Science in Marine Engineering. I am currently the 3rd Assistant Engineer on board the LNG Carrier Matthew.

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?

Destiny, that each of us has a Unique Potential. Even without actively thinking about them, all of the words and principles have played integral parts in discovering who I am and what my Unique Potential is.

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?

Ian Matthew Harrington, through our long discussions while he was my wing parent, made me realize that life is what we make of it and we should embrace the good when it comes, and accept the bad will come, but it will pass.

Mark Duethorn taught me to question everything, for better or for worse. This lesson keeps me on my toes to this day and has allowed me to never walk blindly into any situation.

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?

Your world is bigger than you imagine. After traveling to countless countries in the last six years after graduation, I’ve been able to see that there is so much more to life than I thought while attending Hyde. The different cultures and people I’ve encountered have given me humility in myself and my struggles. The sooner I resolve these struggles, the sooner I can have a free mind and embrace what our world has to offer.

_______________________________________________

Are you an alum who would like to be featured on hyde.edu?

Email us at alumni@hyde.edu to share your story.