15 December 2014
The Phoenix Varsity Wrestling Team hit the road this weekend on both Friday and Saturday to open our dual meet season. Still looking to fill out the lineup, we were forced to forfeit several weight classes in each contest. Despite the holes, we were able to return home with a 2-3 record for the weekend.
On Friday night, we squared off with host Roxbury Latin School and finished on the losing end to a much more experienced team before rebounding to defeat Governor’s Academy by the score of 36 – 27!
On Saturday, we returned to Boston to compete at Milton Academy in a quad meet featuring the hosts, Class A League rival Tilton School and the Spartans of Lawrence Academy. In our opening match of the day, the Phoenix stormed to victory against Tilton School by the score of 48 – 18 and losing only one contested bout along the way. Forfeits were once again a factor as we finished the day 1-2, losing to a solid Milton Academy team and falling short to Lawrence Academy by a mere 3 points (36 – 33).
We have to make special mention this week of the Varsity Wrestlers who earned their first Varsity Wins of the season:
- Connor Foye (fr. 132) – completed a solid takedown and locked up a half nelson to earn his first victory against Milton Academy
- Jake Dawson (fr. 138) – is the model of tenacity and earned two wins on Saturday including his first career win vs. Tilton School.
- Alex Hilton (soph. 120) – has already faced some tough competition this season and was able to finish the weekend 3-0, earning 2 pins and a forfeit victory. His Milton Academy match was a significant upset win!
- Andre Allen (jr. 170) – wrestled to close losses Friday night and rebounded Saturday with two dominating pins including his first career varsity win. Congratulations
- James Howard (jr. 195) – is still learning, but has responded well to coaching thus far and put the pieces together well on Friday night earning his first wrestling win against Governor’s Academy.
The Phoenix return to action on January 10, 2015 in the battle for the President’s Cup at Hyde-CT.
Wish us luck!
Dreaming Big, Working Hard… Hyde Wrestling