The Future Plans and Reflections of Six 2014 Hyde Seniors

At Hyde we have the privilege of working with an exceptional group of young people, and to be part of their growth as they challenge themselves to discover their unique potential and develop their character to its fullest. Graduation gives us time to reflect on the tremendous accomplishments of those moving on to college, taking with them the skills they learned at Hyde as well as some great memories. We asked a few of our graduates this year to share what they most valued about their time at Hyde and to give us a glimpse into their future plans. Then we also asked them to leave some advice for the undergrads.

Samantha Frisoli
Samantha Frisoli

Samantha Frisoli

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: New Canaan, CT

What college are you attending?

Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, PA

What are you looking forward to the most there?

Next year I am most looking forward to taking advantage of a variety of opportunities that I have not previously had such as my major in organization and management.  I am thrilled to finally study a specific interest of mine that will help to prepare me in my future career as well as the athletic opportunities that I will undertake in order to continue pushing myself. I am excited to really challenge myself in a new environment and use what I have learned to differentiate myself as a student, athlete and peer.

How do you feel Hyde has prepared you for the next phase of your education?

Hyde has provided me with all the necessary tools in order for me to enter into the next phase of my education successfully. I have disciplined myself to keep a strict schedule by using the one at Hyde; I know I can adjust it to fit my schedule in college to balance extracurricular activities, my course load and still have a social life.

What is one thing that you have learned here that you will take with you?

One thing that Hyde has taught me is to always advocate for myself. There are no opportunities that Hyde wouldn’t have offered me if I did not just ask for them. Along with that, academically I have always felt comfortable because if I missed a class or needed extra help, Hyde showed me that all I had to do was utilize resources like office hours. I think whether I am at college or Hyde it is extremely important to know that you’re never alone and that people are always willing to help you if you just reach out.

What will you miss most about Hyde?

I will miss the close-knit community that Hyde offers. I am in a school where I know everyone’s first and last name, as well as all of their family members. I think this is something that is often taken for granted.  The college that I will be attending next year has a student body of about 2,600 students. This is enormous relative to Hyde; however, compared to most colleges it is very small. I am excited to hopefully continue my experience with close connections next year.

Do you have any advice for the undergraduates?

I cannot stress enough to the undergraduates how important college visits are. I applied to nineteen colleges, which I do not suggest either; however, out of those schools I only visited one. That made it extremely difficult when the decision letters started rolling in. It is important to keep your opportunities open and not to get stuck on one college. In my case, I fell in love with one school and after more research and my experience on my college visit, I fell in love with another. It is hard to believe that everything will work out during this stressful process, but many facts and figures play into the decision process and there is a place out there for everyone.

Richard Yilong Liu
Richard Yilong Liu

Richard Yilong Liu

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Kunming, Yunnan, China

What college are you attending? 

UC Berkeley in Berkeley, CA

I am really excited about upcoming college life. As a world-leading premier university, UC Berkeley certainly can offer a lot of opportunities for me to challenge myself intellectually. My intended major is economics and UC Berkeley is one of the best institutions in the world for economics study. There are a lot of great research opportunities and internships in California. Also, I can’t wait to meet more people from all over the world and hang out with my new friends. And I love running so I can’t wait to run in the California sunshine to explore the new places.

At Hyde, I learned how to study independently and arrange time wisely. In college, I will get much more free time, so it’s really important for me to use my time effectively.

I guess my answer for this question is that I realized my own unique potential. I will always reflect who I am and what I really want in my life. It is vital for me because I won’t lose myself anymore and pursue my own personal destiny through the path I choose for myself.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

The tight bonds and connections between members of the Hyde community. I have a lot of mentors and life-time friends at Hyde. And I will miss activities such as hot seat that challenge me honestly and let me realize what I really need to work on.

I want to say to the undergraduates that you only get what you give. Hyde process is not always pleasant but beneficial to my personal development. For me, Hyde is the preparation for life.

Amelia Lyle
Amelia Lyle

Amelia Lyle

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Wilton, CT

What college are you attending?

Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, CA

I am honored and excited to have been selected for the University Honors Program. My academic experience is going to be immersive and rigorous, but I am definitely up for the challenge. I am already intent on pursuing environmental studies, and that particular program at SCU is blossoming. My passion for the environment will also be fulfilled by my participation in the Into the Wild club, in which students venture into the great outdoors for some of my favorite activities, including camping, skiing, and whitewater rafting.

Hyde helped me develop my work ethic. Throughout my entire life I had always been a tenacious student; however, Hyde taught me to apply my determination to myriad other aspects of my life. Also, I have improved my leadership abilities in terms of understanding how to lead alongside others.

Coming out of Hyde I can say the greatest virtue I have learned is humility. I used to attempt to face any and all challenges entirely on my own and did not know how to be a team player. Now I can ask for help when I need it without feeling like I gave up on myself.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I am certainly going to miss the close relationships I have with the faculty. They have played such an intrinsic role in my growth both as a student and as a person, and I am so indebted to them for how much care they have displayed. It is going to be challenging to transition to a new set of mentors in college.

Don’t go into senior year with any expectations, because chances are they are wrong. The only thing you should expect is the unexpected.

Wilson MacMillan
Wilson MacMillan

Wilson MacMillan

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Faribault, Minnesota

What college are you attending?

Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine

While attending Bowdoin I am excited to play soccer in the NESCAC league and to play at a higher level. I am very grateful that I am able to extend my soccer career and continue to play. Also, one of the reasons that I chose Bowdoin was the challenging academics and dedicated professors. I think it’s a good opportunity to excel and to be challenged.

I think that Hyde has prepared me extremely well for next year. Having to be a part of so much has helped me to manage my time and to be responsible. I think that being a part of this community has given me the skills I need to succeed in college and after. The unique leadership opportunities and continuous challenge has been crucial to my development.

One of the most important things that I learned at Hyde is that the way you handle situations is more often than not more important than the action done. Throughout my four years at Hyde, I have succeeded, but I have also made mistakes and the way I have handled those mistakes has been important. Through my next four years and throughout my life I will remember that being honest and handling situations the right way is the most important thing.

What will you miss most about Hyde?

The thing that I will miss the most about Hyde is without a doubt the community. For most of my life, Hyde has been my home and the people here have made it into this type of atmosphere. I am forever grateful for the people who have invested so much time in me and will miss the perfect balance of support and challenge for my peers and the wise faculty.

My advice for the undergraduates is to make this school yours. Push the faculty out of the way and take control over your school. Don’t get distracted by temptations and embrace the process here. Looking back on my four years of Hyde I am proud of the work that I have done and you should feel that way too.

Felipe Azevedo
Felipe Azevedo

Felipe Azevedo

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Boca Raton, Florida

What college are you attending?

University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida

In terms of academics, I’m looking forward to a broad range of different courses to pick from. Since UF is so big I have many options for so many classes, from something as simple as American Literature to something a bit more specific such as Underwater Basket Weaving 101. I definitely want to take many courses in different fields to enrich my college experience with my intellectual curiosity.

Athletically, I plan on playing sports every season and staying in shape my whole time in college. Soccer is my main sport, and I will play for Florida’s club team, although I need to practice all summer to be able to earn my spot. During the winter and spring I will probably still play soccer competitively, but will also be doing jiu-jitsu, intramural basketball, and not to mention I will be going to the gym consistently.

At UF there are so many student activities and involvement that it is almost impossible to not be part of one. I am very excited to study abroad all over the world. At the end of my sophomore year and beginning of junior year I am planning on studying at many different locations throughout Europe to engage in learning in different environments for a change; also because I love learning about other cultures.

I am sure I am speaking for many other seniors when I say that going to college makes me a little nervous. But along with that nervousness comes just as much excitement. I think my time here at Hyde has prepared me to succeed in college. The rigorous schedule of Hyde has disciplined me to always do something productive. I cannot spend a full day with nothing accomplished; I always want to get something done, and I think Hyde molded me into my own brother’s keeper when it comes to being productive.

If there were one thing that I will bring to college from Hyde before anything else it would be my openness to feedback from others and a genuine attitude to be the “best possible me.” Before coming to Hyde I used to get defensive when people would give me constructive criticism. After participating in many seminars, FLC’s, and senior evaluations, I learned to lower my defenses, and take people’s feedback constructively as a way to improve myself.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I will miss having a close-knit community that I know I can count on to hold me to my best. Going to a university of over 50,000 students from a school with just under 200 students is not an easy transition. From all the concern people have had for me here, I have learned a lot about myself. With that knowledge of who I really am as a person, I am prepared to move on to the next phase of my life as a mature young adult.

For the undergraduates, I would say to commit to something. Commitment is a strong trait to have, especially when going to college. Many students go to college and cannot handle the work and give up. The ones who stay are the ones who are committed and dedicated to becoming successful. If you practice commitment early on, it will come naturally to commit to things in college.

Carolyn Moore
Carolyn Moore

Carolyn Moore

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Harpswell, Maine

What college are you attending?

Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem North Carolina

I’m very excited to take a variety of courses about things I am passionate about, from journalism to environmental science. Wake Forest has hundreds of different student organizations and clubs, and I hope to join the soccer and lacrosse club teams my freshman year.

Hyde has prepared me for college in many ways. One thing I’ve discovered about myself if that I know how to make meaningful relationships with adults. I look forward to reaching out to my professors at Wake next year. I will feel more comfortable asking questions during office hours or after class if I do not understand something if I make the connection with my professor. Hyde has also taught me time management and getting everything done even with so much on my plate. Next year I’m not afraid to commit to a variety of clubs and organizations because I perform well with a busy schedule.

Something I’ve learned at Hyde that I will take with me is a willingness to seek challenge. I’ve discovered that I am at my best when I am taking risks. I hope to continue to be the kind of person who takes leaps of faith when I’m uncertain, whether that’s in making deeper connections, taking difficult classes, joining organizations, etc.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

Leaving Hyde will be difficult next year; I will miss the many people I’ve made deep connections with over these past three years. I believe my peers and many of the faculty here at Hyde know me better than I know myself sometimes. I hope to find relationships in the future that are based on support and challenge like I’ve found here at Hyde.

My advice to the upcoming seniors is to go into the senior evaluation process with an openness to feedback and willingness to lay everything out on the table. I discovered that just as with any Hyde seminar, I got the most out of the process when I stopped protecting myself and let go of my fear of judgement or failure. Be excited for the process!