Hyde-Bath Junior Finalist in Maine Poetry Competition

Hyde student Isaac Higgins from English 11 participated in the Southern Maine Regional Finals of the Poetry Out Loud state-wide competition.

Hyde School junior Isaac Higgins was one of the finalists in the Poetry Out Loud state-wide competition of the national recitation contest.

Isaac advanced to the final round of competition held at the State Theater in Biddeford, Maine last Thursday on February 6th, 2014.  At the event there were three rounds of competition. Students with the top scores from the first two rounds advanced to the final round. Higgins was one of those contestants. Higgins had to recite a poem in each of the rounds.

Despite only joining the national contest 8 years ago, Maine has the largest turn-out in the Poetry Out Loud competition in the nation. Over 9,000 contestants participated in the state-wide competition, this year. Higgins was one of the top 20 in the state!

When asked about how the experience has impacted him, Isaac responded.

“I see poetry wherever I go now. I’m not kidding.  When I was swim practice the other day,  I even started making up a poem.  The world is different to me now.”

During the Poetry Out Loud Event, the attending students had the opportunity to have lunch together and talk about their experience at their respective schools.

“What was great is that the other students were competitive, but also supportive” said Higgins. “I really enjoyed getting to know them.

The competition was tough. It was intense being up on stage, under the spotlight.”