Pursuing a Passion: Ethan Labowitz ’03

Last month we caught up with Ethan Labowitz ’03 in Needham, MA, where he is an Instructor of Design and Fabrication at the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering. Similar to Hyde’s five words and five principles, Olin has an “Honor Wall,” located at the center of campus, where the incoming student body drafts and signs an Honor Code.

Class Year: 2003

Campus graduated from: Woodstock

Hometown: Alexandria, VA

Currently Living In: Somerville, MA

College: Virginia Commonwealth University, Appalachian State University

Sports Played while at Hyde: Football, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, and Performing Arts

Favorite Hyde Memory: Hanging out on the theater box.

Favorite Hyde Teachers: Tom Lord, who could apply real-life situations to science, and Mark Duethorn, for his infectious and enthusiastic teaching style.

What have you been up to since leaving Hyde?

I always wanted to be an engineer, and after graduating from Hyde, I enrolled in engineering college, but found school boring and not what I expected, so I decided to leave college and wait tables for a couple of years, trying to figure out what I wanted to do instead. I took a photojournalism class at The Corcoran College of Art & Design in Washington, DC, and realized that I was more intrigued with the technical aspects of the camera than working within that medium. That led to a metal sculpture class, where I became a lab assistant for one year. Eventually I enrolled at Virginia Commonwealth University, received an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree, and went straight on to Appalachian State University, where I received a Master’s in Technology.  I first became involved with Olin College when I worked on their capstone project.

Watch this interview with Ethan Labowitz ’03 to learn more about how Hyde impacted what he is doing today.

Image Gallery