Hyde’s Indoor Track program competed in its second meet of the season on Friday, January 10th at the University of Southern Maine. The Hyde Indoor Track program is a member of the Western Maine Conference Indoor Track League (a public school conference). Full meet results and scores are attached.
Our anxious group of 18 athletes walked in the field house at USM and witnessed 350 other high school track athletes warming up and preparing for the evening’s competition from seven other competitive Maine public high schools. For all but five of our athletes, this was their first-ever indoor track meet and I could see they were nervous and a little intimidated.
I was pleased with our performance considering our students had just returned from break and hadn’t had many practices under their belt. In terms of team scoring, both the men’s and women’s teams placed 8th out of the eight teams participating.
Scorers on the evening were…
- Alex Greenberg `15 placing 3rd in both the mile (4:58.4) and two mile (10:53.76)
- Sebastain Knoefel `16 placing 6th in both the junior 55m dash (7.55) and 200m dash (26.75).
- Xi Wang `14 placing 6th in the women’s mile (6:33.85) and 4th in the women’s 2 mile (13:43.50).
- Avery Booth `15 placing 5th in the women’s 2 mile (15:09.01).
- Jill Toleman `16 placing 2nd in the junior 400m (1:09.25) and placing 10th out of 32 in the 200m dash (31.76).
- Our men’s 4 x 200m relay team (S. Knoefel `16, A. Martz `15, J. Stanchina `15, & C. Maccubbin `14) placing 5th overall (1:48.28).
Other highlights included…
- Casey Maccubbin `15 placing 8th out of 33 in the open 55m dash (7.28) and 10th out of 28 in the open 200m dash (26.10).
- Joe Stanchina `15 placing 10th out of 19 in the open 400m dash (1:02.45) and 18th out of 28 in the open 200m dash (27.28).
- Chris Lutts `15 getting a personal record of 6:15.75 in the mile (a 23 second improvement!)
It was a very exciting and inspiring evening of track and field for Hyde. Our next meet is Friday at USM at 6:30PM).
Coach Ken Grant