Hyde Junior Selected as a Finalist for the Sixth Annual Merriconeag Poetry Festival

Wyatt Lichtenger ’14 of Hyde School reads his poem, The Depth of the Sky, at the Sixth Annual Merriconeag Poetry Festival.

Bath, ME (MAY 28, 2013) On Sunday, May 5, Hyde junior Wyatt Lichtenger joined 20 other high school finalists at the Sixth Annual Merriconeag Poetry Festival held at the Merriconeag Waldorf School in Freeport, Maine.  The finalists, whose work was chosen from among submissions by high school students from all over the state, met to deliver their poems before festival judge Megan Grumbling, a Maine poet and theater critic.  Ms. Grumbling lauded the students’ work.  Wyatt read his poem entitled, The Depth of the Sky.

Wyatt told of the genius of the poem, sharing, “I was inspired to write The Depth of the Sky when my mother and I went for a walk to the local marshlands.  These marshlands are full of wild life, green hills, and large bodies of water. There were views that extended across the San Francisco Bay. In the distance I spotted a bridge and descended to it. Right before I began crossing over it, I realized how beautiful of a scene it was. So, I whipped out my mom’s pink camera, snapped a photo, and moved on. “

Wyatt’s English 11 teacher, Peter Rowe, stated “Wyatt did an outstanding job representing Hyde School and we are very proud to be part of this exceptional event which showcases the outstanding creativity of the young people of our great state.”