The Future Plans and Reflections of Six 2013 Hyde Seniors

At Hyde we have the privilege of working with an exceptional group of young people, and to be part of their growth as they challenge themselves to discover their unique potential and develop their character to its fullest. Graduation gives us time to reflect on the tremendous accomplishments of those moving on to college, taking with them the skills they learned at Hyde as well as some great memories. We asked a few of our graduates this year to share what they most valued about their time at Hyde and to give us a glimpse into their future plans.

Hyde Senior Kara Fischer
Kara Fischer ’13

Kara Fischer

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Belmont, MA

What college are you attending?

Clark University

What are you looking forward to the most there? Academically/athletically/extracurricular

Because Clark is a liberal arts school, it has a very open curriculum and a wide variety of classes I can choose from. Originally, Clark was known for being strong in psychology and other social sciences, but more recently, it has become known for all of its sciences, including biology, chemistry, physics, etc. Also, I’m very excited to attend Clark because it is in the city of Worcester, so I will have a lot of great internship opportunities at nearby hospitals.

I plan on playing basketball and soccer at Clark, and I am very excited for that. I feel like the level of competition is going to be challenging for me and will make me a stronger athlete. I’m not sure what types of extracurricular activities I am going to join, but I know there are lots of great clubs to choose from. I’m excited for the opportunities I am going to have to try so many new things!

How do you feel Hyde has prepared you for the next phase of your education?

Hyde has definitely challenged me in ways I never thought I would be challenged. Before coming to Hyde, I was shy and didn’t like talking to people I didn’t know. Being at Hyde, I didn’t really have the option to keep being shy because the faculty and many other students saw great potential in me, so they pushed me to get out of my comfort zone. I did things at Hyde that I never thought I would do. I never thought I would sing a capella in front of over one hundred people, and I never thought I would be part of a leadership group that helps to run the school. I never thought I would have deep relationships with faculty members in which not only were they challenging me, but I was challenging them as well. I have taken so many risks here at Hyde that have helped me grow as a person and get out of my comfort zone. I have found my voice, and although I am still sometimes scared to use it, I have definitely gained confidence in it and will continue to do so as I take more risks. All of this will help me at Clark University next year because I will be more open to taking risks and reaching out to faculty members and other students to look for those deep, challenging relationships that I have learned to form here at Hyde.

What is one thing that you have learned here that you will take with you?

I think one of the biggest things that I have learned here at Hyde is that although taking risks and getting out of my comfort zone can be very uncomfortable, it always helps me to grow and learn more about myself in the long run.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I think I will miss all of the relationships I have made here, especially the faculty relationships. I have learned so much from the faculty members here at Hyde, and it makes me really sad to think that I won’t be here next year to continue working with the faculty members. I feel like I can always count on them to challenge and support me and always work with me to push me towards my best. I know that with all that I have learned from the faculty here, I will be able to make new faculty relationships at college next year, but I will still miss the relationships that I have made throughout my time here at Hyde.

Hyde Senior Michael Doré
Michael Doré ’13

Michael Dore

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Pelham, NY

What college are you attending?

I will be attending the University of Notre Dame next year in South Bend, Indiana.

What I’m looking forward to the most is the feel on campus. Every time that I’ve visited, I felt a certain energy that I haven’t ever felt anywhere else; almost surreal. I’m also looking forward to watching the football games. I’ve gone to a few games and they have all been phenomenal and all I wanted was to go sit in the student section and now I’ll finally be able to.

Hyde has prepared me for Notre Dame by giving me a structure and discipline that I can apply to my schoolwork and athletics in my next level of education.

One thing I learned at Hyde that I will take with me is that staying active is the best way to excel. The more things you have to do, the easier it is to do them. In the words of Malcolm Gauld, it’s easier to finish your to-do list when there are six things on it than it is when there’s only one.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

What I will miss the most about Hyde is the people. I’ve made amazing connections with people here that I will keep for a long time to come.

Hyde Senior Purple Zhao
Purple Zhao ’13

Purple Zhao

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Jericho, NY

What college are you attending?

Boston College

I will be attending Carroll School of Management next year at BC. Although I’m undecided about my major, I’m excited and curious to explore my interests in business. BC has excellent professors and academic curriculums. I know that I will be challenged there.

In addition, BC is a Catholic school that has its own ethical principles and values. BC does not only evaluate students based on their grades but also emphasizes the development of their character.

The character education at Hyde planted a root in me. It always reminds me to look for something beyond myself and helps me to build the habit of seeing and following the truth. Hyde gave me the confidence to believe in my potential. I believe that no matter what I do in the future, I will live my life with my personal standards of excellence and knowing the importance of purpose and fulfillment.

I learned about conscience this year, and I will take it with me to the rest of my life. Conscience is the inner voice that tells us what’s right and wrong. It takes courage and practice to be able to hear and follow this voice. This year I have learned to listen to my conscience through the challenges I have faced.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I will definitely miss the relationships I had with some faculty members this year. They are genuine, honest and know how to challenge and support me. I will miss the openness and sharing. I will miss every time after talking and listening to them, the growth I have experienced. I will miss the little sweet things they have done for me, the amount of care they have given me. I will miss having them treat me like an adult. I will certainly miss them… a lot.

Hyde Senior Nick Davis
Nick Davis ’13

Nick Davis

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Ithaca, NY

What college are you attending?

Ithaca College

I am looking forward to Ithaca’s strong Physical Therapy program and the diverse community.  The campus and surrounding area is full of beautiful nature within and around the great college town.  Ithaca has many opportunities for staying fit and internships that I will take advantage of.

Hyde has prepared me well for this next step in my life.  I feel very confident going to college in the fall.

Hyde’s structure has helped me manage my time better and I will carry that self-discipline on with me by creating my own structure around things I want to do.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

Without a doubt I will miss the connections that I’ve made at Hyde.  I can’t think of another place that I have such a close relationship to so many of the faculty.  I have made a lot of lifelong connections with my peers, teachers, and coaches that will go beyond my years in high school.

Hyde Senior Rongpei Zhang (Tina)
Tina Zhang ’13

Rongpei Zhang (Tina)

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Shanghai, China

What college are you attending?

I will be attending University of California at Berkeley this fall.

I am really excited about the going to attend college because it has been one of my biggest dreams since I was little. What I look forward most is the new group of friends I am going to make and the varieties of events at the school. I can picture myself attending different clubs, doing tabling at weekend, and hanging out with my friends with the delicious food.

How do you feel Hyde has prepared you for the next phase of your education?/ What is one thing that you have learned here that you will take with you?

UC Berkeley provides competitive and rigorous courses for the student. I am afraid that I will fall short in the larger class size and will lay back once I fail my own expectation. I am also afraid that I will be overwhelmed or get lost in a university with 36000 students. However, Hyde has taught me to stay strong and keep working towards my goal. It has also taught me to seek out for connections between people.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I think I will most of the friends here that I made because we are like family member towards each other. I will also miss some of the mandatory events such as Performing Art because I don’t think there will be people pushing me to try new things.

Hyde Senior Ethan Morrow
Ethan Morrow ’13

Ethan Morrow

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Huntington Beach, CA

What college are you attending?

I am attending Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts.

One thing that I am really looking forward to is playing soccer at Assumption with the great group of guys they have on their team.  Finding out what major is best for me and what I’m going to do with my life. College life.

Hyde has pushed me to see all that I am capable of academically and inspired me to never give up in difficult classes. Hyde also offered me the chance to show leadership in so many aspects of my life. I have also valued the constant evaluation and feedback given by others, as well as being able to reflect myself on my own action and potential. It has allowed me to discover who I am and to be able to show it more. I have always been a leader but not sure of my voice. Hyde has pushed me to take risks. From all of that, I’ve become more and more comfortable and confident in voicing my opinions. I’ve always listened to my conscience but didn’t voice it as much as I should have. Now, after my time at Hyde, I can voice what I think is right.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

During my postgraduate year at Hyde I have built so many strong relationships with the students and faculty. I will miss them the most as everyone goes their separate way.