Inspiring Talk about College

Marty O'Connell
Marty O’Connell

Hyde School was honored to welcome Marty O’Connell, Executive Director of Colleges that Change Lives, Inc. (CTCL) to speak to the student body. CTCL is a non-profit organization with a mission to encourage a student-centered college search process. Mrs. O’Connell has over 35 years of experience counseling students and families in the college process.

Mrs. O’Connell encouraged students to carefully consider why they want to go to college. Each student must then make the commitment to conduct in-depth research on what colleges have to offer while evaluating their own personal profile and fit. In an interactive demonstration, students showed the many interests and talents they bring to the table – from athletics to a love of poetry. At the end of the presentation, Lucas Richards ’14 shared, “You gave me a good sense of how powerful my essay could be.” Chris Travis ’13 expressed, “This talk has really helped my understanding of the process.”

Mrs. O’Connell shared with us her recipe for ADMIT:

A – Actions mean more than words. Practice, practice.

D – Determination – Never under-estimate the power of being determined.

M – Mindfulness – Turn off the distractions and get down to business.

I – I am responsible for my goals. Visualize your future.

T – Time Management – Procrastination is your biggest enemy.

College Director Tricia Uber said, “I was excited to have Mrs. O’Connell speak to our entire community because I feel her message connects so closely with our philosophy at Hyde School. The college process truly is a time to look for a place that is the right “fit” for students to continue on their journey to reach their unique potential.”