During the winter term, Discovery Groups of the Hyde-Woodstock campus have been working on community service projects. The process included planning to enhance the quality of someone’s life or situation. Many groups used time this week to complete their choices which included:
- Raising money to purchase extension cords, work lamps and clean-up supplies to be shipped to Occupy Staten Island to aid their recovery efforts following storm Sandy.
- Doing a campus bottle drive to emphasize the importance of recycling. The money will be donated to a local day care group who works with area children.
- Buying food items to replenish the local food pantry in Thompson, CT.
- Baking cookies and then delivered them to a local nursing home and enjoyed some holiday time with its residents.
- Working at a local farm to help out with “getting their hands dirty, making a difference and learning to be selfless.”
Community Service Day 2012