Hyde Weekly: November 10 – November 16, 2012

This is an informal e-communication from Hyde-Bath and Hyde-Woodstock, intended to share highlights, signs of growth, issues that are being addressed and thoughts from the Heads of School. Its purpose is to bring the Hyde parents and the larger community into the school culture.

BATH CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

Fall Sports Wrap-Up

This fall has not been short of athletic excitement here at Hyde-Bath. As the fall term winds to a close, it is worth taking a look back at some of the moments and people that have defined the athletic program this fall. Football reeled off 3 consecutive wins to start the season in a display of heart and camaraderie. Led by Steven Dwight ’PGand Terry Norris ’PG, the Football Phoenix battled it out every Saturday to a 4-4 overall record.

The boys’ JV soccer team didn’t get the wins it was looking for, but they worked hard at practice every day, improving along the way. Girls’ JV soccer scored their first victory late in the season after some hard work and team bonding. It was the first win in three years for the JV girls’ team! Buoyed by the JV girls’ success, the girls’ varsity team started to come together and cracked off some big late season league wins, including a thriller in the MAISAD tournament, beating the higher seeded Gould Academy on penalty kicks after four overtimes to earn the right to host the Championship Game. The boys’ varsity team, led by PG Ethan Morrow and Senior Wondo Shaw, had a hugely successful season, ending the MAISAD season 11-3-2. The boys conceded a heartbreaking defeat in the championship game to a tough Hebron squad in quadruple overtime. Still, the New England committee thought it best to invite the team to the New England Tournament (read more about this below)!

Cross country started the season boasting that they were faster than the MAISAD champion team from last year and they did not disappoint. Going undefeated in regular season competition, the runners took home their second MASIAD championship in as many years. When running in the big New England race the following weekend, the boys took 2nd overall, falling to the winning team by only 1 second!  Senior Cody Mitchell placed 7th overall.  A huge success for our small school!

Every season has its ups and downs, and the fall of 2012 was no different. Still, the heart, sportsmanship and team spirit that was formed over these past few months has created a buzz of excitement for things to come.   Below listed are the recipients of the Fall Sports Awards.

Boys’ Varsity Soccer

Season still going, awards not selected

Boys’ Junior Varsity Soccer MVP: David Wu ’15 MIP: Max Zerrudo-Turgeon ’15
Girls’ Varsity Soccer MVP: Katie Comeaux ’13 MIP: Erika Corley ’13
Girls’ Junior Varsity Soccer MVP: Susanna McManus ’14 MIP: Lutes Bartlett ’16
Varsity Football MIP: Steven Dwight ’13 MIP: Jack Howarth ’14

Iron Man Award: Troy Jones ’13

Junior Varsity Football MVP: Leo Wang ’14 MIP: George Wang ’14
Varsity Cross Country MVP: Cody Mitchell ’13 MIP: Austin Wang ’13
Junior Varsity Cross Country MVP: Ross Ji ’16 MIP: Luis Allen ’15

Boys Soccer Still Flying
After the heart-breaker to Hebron at the MASIAD final game in which the boys conceded defeat with only minutes remaining in the fourth golden goal overtime, the sense of deflation and disappointment was running high. All those feelings would be erased when the New England Prep School Athletic Council called Coach Smith late Saturday night to inform him that our school would be seeded first in the “invite only” New England Prep School Class D Championship Tournament! It is a huge honor to be recognized in this tournament and to be seeded first is an even bigger recognition. In the quarter final game, played at Berwick Academy against Rocky Hill School, the boys from Bath still felt they had something to prove and ran out to a 4-0 half time score. The Phoenix advanced to the semis with an 8-2 final tally over Rocky Hill. The semis will be held at Hyde-Bath this coming Saturday! The game will be at 1:00 P.M. on the turf field and the visitors will be Lexington Christian Academy. Should the Phoenix be victorious on Saturday, the finals will be held at the Middlesex School in Concord, MA. The final game will also be at 1:00 P.M. GO PHOENIX!

Who Wouldn’t Want to Be Dean for the Day?

The Interact Club on the Bath campus, which is charged with coordinating the community action activities on campus, is sponsoring a raffle that will take place after break to raise money for this year’s Salvation Army Christmas Party.  The group spent this week collecting items for the raffle, which include such student and faculty favorites as “Dean for a Day” provided by Mr. Truluck, 10 cups of coffee from the Dean’s Area, babysitting, duty shift coverage, 3 hours of yard work and the much anticipated faculty dance video.  The tickets went on sale this week and the drawing will occur when the students and faculty return from Thanksgiving Break.  The money is used to fund the Hyde Salvation Army Party, an event which has become an annual tradition at Hyde.  The celebration which takes place on December 8, will be a highlight of this holiday season for many local families that the Salvation Army is able to assist this year.  Festivities will include live holiday piano music, a full Christmas dinner prepared by our kitchen staff, and the arrival of Santa on a fire truck loaded with personalized gifts for each of the children attending.  Hyde students will also participate as hosts to each family that attends, and as elves they will assist Santa with gifts and spreading holiday cheer.

Flight of the Phoenix Takes Off!

At 5 A.M. this morning, the Flight of the Phoenix team left the Bath campus for their 208 miles relay race to Hyde-Woodstock.  The relay race is a fundraiser for the Bath Food Mobile, a local program that provides food to families in need in the Mid-coast area.  They plan to arrive in Woodstock Saturday evening.  You can keep up on the progress of the team by following them on the Hyde.edu website, on Twitter by searching for #flightofthephoenixor on the Hyde Schools Facebook site.  There is still time to donate to the run and information can be found on theFlight of the Phoenix page on the Hyde website.  Run strong Phoenix!

Not to Miss:

WOODSTOCK CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

Fall Sports Wrap Up

The fall season sports awards ceremony took place Thursday evening and the following students were recognized.

Varsity Football MVP: Connor McLaughlin ’13  MIP: Michael Dore ’13
JV Football MVP: Ethan Goldberg ’15 MIP: Xingkai “Steve” Wang ’13
Boys’ Varsity Soccer MVP: Sean Kokdil ’13

MVP:  Jared Larsen ’13  

MVP: Felipe Azevedo ’14  
Boys’ JV Soccer MIP: Dong “Kevin” Ding ’13 MIP: Xiaofeng “Jack” Yan ’13 
Girls’ Varsity Soccer MVP: Hannah Peters ’13 MIP: Jessie Schwartz ’14 
Girls’ JV Soccer MVP: Jing “Janet” Yang ’13  MIP: Yujing “Jessica” Shao ’14 
Boys’ Cross Country MVP: Matt Wysocki ’13  MIP: Duo “Edison” Yin ’15 

Finishing with Honor

While sometimes difficult, it is important to finish what you started.  This week, it was also evident that finishing should be done with honor.  This was the theme here in Woodstock as we prepared to face exams, tackle final athletic competitions, and wrap-up what has been a challenging but rewarding fall trimester.  In our final school meeting, in an effort to be honorable, the community took time to consider and answer these three questions:

• Who is someone I need to apologize to?
  • Who is someone I need to thank?
  • What is something I’m grateful for?

We spent our last twenty minutes together as a community answering these questions.  It was a powerful experience to watch as young men and women apologized to each other and adults for previous offenses, attitudes, or poor choices; to listen to them thanks their friends, peer-mentors, coaches, teachers, dorm parents, and more.  It was an honor to hear them express gratitude for the community they are part of, for the chance to gain a truly unique education, and to live among such genuine people who have high expectations.

Going to the Bowl Game
For the first time in Hyde history, the boys’ varsity football team is heading to one of five New England Bowl Games!  The Dan Rorke Bowl is one of the five prep school bowls that occur each year.  The participating teams for the five prep school bowls are decided based upon the records teams have earned in their respective leagues.  Under the coaching leadership of Sean Saucier, Pete Gregory, and Steve Sheehan, the 2012 Football Team completed a 7-1 season and put them in line for a title championship. The team finished their regular season this past Saturday with a key win of 55-28 against the Hyde-Bath squad.

This year’s student leadership has been essential to creating a winning chemistry.  Honest, hard work from captains Greg Munetz ’13, Connor McLaughlin ’13, and Daniel Palmer PG helped inspire their teammates to their best, both on and off the field.  They have faced hurdles that have tested their collective resolve and commitment, but as a whole, they have demonstrated a key characteristic of any great athlete and leader: grit.  As the school huddled around Woodstock’s bronze wolf, the team’s energy and determination were evident.  Although Thanksgiving break has started for most of the students, their hearts and minds will be with this team tomorrow at noon.

Stay tuned and follow the game this Saturday on Twitter @Hyde_Athletics.  Better yet, support the team by coming to West Hartford, CT for the big game!  See link and information below.

Thanksgiving

As mentioned, we asked students and faculty to share those things for which they are grateful.  As we all enjoy some well-deserved down time, we share these thoughts of Thanksgiving.

• I am grateful for the love and huge amount of support which I have received from my family.  I am also very grateful for the opportunities that I have been blessed with in my life.
  • I am most grateful for my family and the people I get to work with each day.  On those days when I am frustrated and really tired, I try to remember all the good things we do with the students and the difference we make in their lives.  This is the first place I have ever worked where I look forward to coming to work each day. 
  • I am grateful that my loved ones and I are healthy and I am grateful to have friends, students, and peers that challenge and support me. 
  • I’m grateful that my Dad and Step Mom are taking me in and letting me stay with them in this upcoming break. It’s my home away from home and I really appreciate everything they have done for me.
  • I am very grateful for being adopted by the family who adopted me. 
  • I am very grateful for being able to have somewhere to stay every night and having people around me who care about me.
    • I’m grateful to work in a community with people that are willing to go to the ends of the earth to help each other out. 
    • I’m grateful to live amongst people that care for me and are direct and honest and don’t put up with my worst attitudes and let me know when they start to show through.
    • I am very grateful for my loved ones and for all of the opportunities that have come my way over the years.
    • I feel very fortunate to be where I am now.  I definitely wouldn´t be at the place I am today without the different people who have made an impact on my life (and continue to do so).   LDG/DM

Not to Miss:

LDG/DM