Spencer Garrett ’81 Joins Hyde School’s Board of Governors

Spencer Garrett attended Hyde School in Bath, Maine, where he made friendships that have lasted a lifetime. Today, he’s giving back to his school by lending his energy, ideas, expertise, and enthusiasm for Hyde as a member of our Board of Governors.

Spencer has acted in and produced in numerous film and television hits during his successful career in Hollywood.   After graduating from Hyde School, he attended Duke and Fordham Universities before studying with celebrated teacher Sanford Meisner. Recently, Spencer has appeared on television shows, including Grey’s Anatomy, CSI: NY, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent, and he will be starring alongside Dustin Hoffman in the upcoming HBO series Luck. He’s worked in films including Air Force One, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Public Enemies, and Casino Jack.

This year, Hyde kicked off its alumni weekend with a special screening of Below the Beltway, which Spencer produced and starred in.  He then joined Hyde President Malcolm Gauld to team-teach a special Government class for students and an audience tuned in via livestream.

Spencer says, “The Hyde experience has never left me. I have returned to the Bath campus every five years since my graduation, and the friendships that were forged were perhaps the most significant ones in my life.  Every time I return, it is as though a conversation has been up right where it left off.  There’s a commonality and a sense of purpose we all shared, and continue to share, with the world to this day.”

For Spencer, “Hyde, for me, was always about finding the best way to grow up and contribute to the world outside the gates while maintaining one’s sense of passion, awe and wonderment at life, responsibility to one’s friends and neighbors, and staying true to one’s self.”

“As Hyde has changed and grown so much over the years, like a real student itself, I look forward to contributing in any way I can to move the Hyde purpose to the next generation of students. It’s a privilege to be a part of that process.”