I Teach Curiosity

Mukhaye Muchimuti teaches Science and Spanish at Hyde School in Bath, Maine.  A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of St. Lawrence University with a degree in Neuroscience, she is also an award-winning Davis Scholar.  As a researcher, Mukhaye has been honored through the Merck/AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program.  She was also chosen to participate in the Kathryn Wasserman Davis 100 Projects for Peace program, with an original project titled “Providing Water, Empowering Samburu Women.” Her drive to learn and challenge herself is evident—she speaks three languages, loves to run, and brings a sense of fun and focus to her work as a dance and track and field coach.

Mukhaye reveals, “I teach curiosity, particularly in my Spanish class. I find that students tend to shy away from speaking for fear of making fools of themselves, but I encourage them to express themselves and aim to expand their vocabulary daily. Generally, I try to have all my students seek out the answers (vocabulary definitions, molecular mass, etc., as appropriate) rather than giving it to them straight away. I use guiding questions to make them think through the problem, with the firm belief that the process of searching for the answer is more powerful than the actual answer.”

Learn more about teachers like Mukhaye and the commitment to curiosity at Hyde Schools.  We invite you to visit us and see for yourself what a difference a Hyde education can make for your family.