Dr. Nelson Arnstein ’71: What Running Taught Me About Confidence

Dr. Nelson Arnstein ’71

“I’ll never forget what I learned from playing sports at Hyde,” said Dr. Nelson Arnstein ’71, addressing the current Hyde School student body in Bath, Maine. On Homecoming weekend, Dr. Arnstein and many other alumni were invited to speak to current students at a School Meeting, and their stories served to inspire a new generation of leaders.

Dr. Arnstein’s story was especially poignant. He described himself as a shy, uncoordinated kid when he arrived at Hyde as a freshman. “I could barely walk in a straight line,” he joked, “much less run a race.”

Hyde students have, since the school’s founding, played three seasons of sports, and Dr. Arnstein said that now, as an accomplished adult, he understands why. He chose to run cross country, and quickly developed a love—and a talent—for the sport. “Running taught me determination and patience,” he said. “Our coach never gave up on me.”

Today Dr. Arnstein is a Physician Specialist at Southern California Permanente Medical Group, where he specializes in Nuclear Medicine.

He brings the same determination to his practice that he learned from running—and when he’s not skydiving or practicing medicine, he’s still running. On October 15, Dr. Arnstein will compete in the Baltimore Marathon. He’s worn his original Hyde jersey in many of the races, and will wear a brand-new Hyde running shirt this fall. He shared a photo of himself in a 1994 race, arms raised triumphantly above his head, proudly sporting his Hyde shirt.

At Homecoming weekend, Dr. Arnstein led Hyde’s cross country team on a run from Ferry Beach to campus, recreating a meaningful run he completed while he was a student at Hyde. His message to students was simple: Test yourself, take risks, and never give up. “Hyde taught me to be an athlete, and it taught me to be a physician,” he told students. “I’m grateful for everything I learned at Hyde.”

Dr. Nelson Arnstein ’71 credits Hyde with teaching him how to be an athlete–and a person of character.