Rachel Folan

Rachel FolanRachel Folan, Dean of Curriculum and Instruction

Campus: Woodstock, Connecticut

College Experience:

• BA, Bowdoin College
  • M Ed, Harvard University, School Leadership

Educational Experience:

• Study Abroad:  Capetown, South Africa 2003
  • Administrative Intern, Boston Latin School 2009-2010
  • National Soccer Coaches Association of America, National Diploma

Hometown: Brunswick, Maine

I Teach: Honors Algebra 2

I Teach:  Confidence

In the classroom, I feel that confidence is often my focal point.  When approaching mathematics, I urge my students to call upon previous knowledge and use that information in a new and creative manner.  Additionally, my classes strive to apply the content, concepts, and processes to venues outside the classroom so that students see math in their worlds, not simply at their desks.

I Coach: Soccer, Indoor Track, Track and Field

Proudest Moment: The two moments of which I am the most proud are my marriage and the birth of my daughter, Quinn Margaret Folan.  Both have given me more happiness than I ever thought possible while also teaching me about myself in profound ways every single day.  I feel so lucky to have accomplished both cultivating a strong, loving partnership with my husband and raising a beautiful child.

My Hobbies: I’m lucky because one of my favorite hobbies is coaching, which I get to do while I work at Hyde.  My newest favorite hobby is to take my daughter to the playground and push her on the swings.  While it’s less enjoyable, I do try to run every day.  More embarrassingly, I thoroughly enjoy watching bad reality television (but it’s so good!).