Hyde Weekly – 1/3 – 1/7

BATH CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

Welcome Back

Before jumping back into classes on Tuesday morning, Assistant Head of School, Rich Truluck, welcomed the students back with a community meeting.  A quick and informal poll of students and faculty showed that about a quarter of the school spent some time outside of the US and about a third spent time in a warm climate (75 or more!).  It was also interesting to note that about a third of the school answered in the affirmative that this vacation had encompassed “one of the best days I have ever spent with my family.”  Afterwards, the students split into groups to begin preparing and planning for an eventful two months.  Some of the breakout groups were:  weekend fun activities; Head of School holiday; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Northern New England Invitational Wrestling Tournament (Hyde is hosting this on Feb. 5); performing arts and international student liaison program. 

Coming at you Live!

The school meeting this week was devoted to faculty evaluations.  About half of the teachers had the opportunity to sit in front of the student body and receive comments in two broad categories: the strengths of their teaching and areas in need of improvement.  Considering that teaching at Hyde extends well beyond the classroom, the student comments also ranged beyond the classroom, incorporating the teacher’s roles as a coach, Discovery Group leader, dorm parent and mentor.  As usual, the faculty found this to be a valuable source of information to improve their performance both professionally and personally, and the students did a very good job of giving insightful feedback.

First College Acceptances

The senior class had their first acceptances of the winter.  Congratulations to Gabi Harvie (Elon University- early decision), Mali Perry (Parsons New School for Design- early decision) and Patrick Serra (Naropa University) on being admitted to their top choice schools.  More acceptances to come in the weeks ahead!

COOL LINKS: Mal’s Year in Review | Wrestling Pics – Part 1 | Wrestling Pics – Part 2 | Upcoming Open House

WOODSTOCK CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

It’s a Girl

While the campus cleared out for the holiday break, Rachel Folan was experiencing the early signs of labor and on Sunday, December 19, 2010, Rachel and Kevin welcomed Quinn Margaret Folan into the world. Weighing 7 lbs., 2 oz. and measuring almost 21 inches, Quinn showed her beauty off in a series of pictures sent out to the community. Her perfect turned up nose and sweet face turned her father into mush and the rest of us, well, immediately attached! Good job Mom and we welcome this new member into the Hyde community.

Faculty FLC

As the students traveled back to the campus, the faculty gathered for the traditional faculty FLC, a time where faculty go through the self-discovery exercises that are part of the Hyde parent program. Sunday afternoon and evening were spent sharing defining moments in our life and an exercise where we completed the following sentences:

I am excited about…

I worry that…

A challenge I will face personally is…

The strength that I offer this team is…

If I let myself, I can feel (lonely, angry, sad, disappointed, etc.)…

If I didn’t have to do it perfectly, I would…

A person on this team that I would like to connect with is…

I beat myself up about…

Right now, I need to ask for help with…

Faculty talked about the value of taking the time to interact as a team in this way. Everyone agreed that it was a valuable way to start the winter period.  John Rigney said, “Every time I go into one of these, I come away with a renewed sense of why I work here and live here with my family.” Terry Walsh added, “When I allow myself to learn through these exercises, I can learn from everyone.” This is just another reminder of the importance of parents and faculty experiencing the same character curriculum as the students.

Welcome to Woodstock

As a community, we’re happy to welcome both new students and a new faculty member this week.  Students arrived this week from across the country and around the globe and jumped right into classes, sports and other activities.  We are also happy to welcome new faculty member, and former Hyde-Bath student, Michael Aronski  ’06.  After a successful collegiate career at Rollins College in Orlando, Florida, Mike recognized the relevance of his Hyde education and decided to return as a faculty member to further the Hyde mission.  As a student-athlete at Hyde, Mike defined himself as a tenacious competitor and an inspiring leader.  He took those attributes to the Rollins soccer team as he captained the Tars his senior year to a runner-up finish in the Division II National Championship held in Louisville, Kentucky.  We are excited to have Mike’s energy and enthusiasm on our faculty team.

COOL LINKS: Mal’s Year in Review | Dodgeball Pics | Upcoming Open House | Upcoming Events | Woodstock Reunion