Hyde School Establishes Leadership Society for Exceptional Students

Hyde School, a leader in character-based education, furthered its dedication to encouraging and recognizing students’ leadership through the recent launch of a new program called the Hyde Leadership Society.

New this year on both the Bath and Woodstock campuses, the Hyde Leadership Society is comprised of juniors and seniors who challenge themselves in academics, athletics, community service, performing arts, and residential life beyond Hyde’s basic expectations.

Students in the Hyde Leadership Society on the Bath campus of Hyde School pose for a picture.

The concept behind the society is to inspire and support student leaders to become more effective contributors in the community by aiding them in being exemplary role models for their peers and in teaching them how to work collaboratively with the faculty.

Students in the Hyde Leadership Society on the Woodstock campus of Hyde School pose for a picture.

“We created the Leadership Society in order to honor our students who are striving for excellence in all areas of their lives,” says Don MacMillan, head of school on the Bath campus. “It aligns well with the Hyde mission and philosophy and it will serve as an important leadership development and character-building opportunity.”

In order to join the Hyde Leadership Society, students have to obtain the recommendation and support of a faculty member and successfully complete an interview.

“The core belief and mission statement of the Hyde Schools is that every individual is gifted with a unique potential that defines a destiny,” says Executive Director of Hyde Boarding Schools Laura Gauld. “We believe that there is leadership potential in everyone and that we earn our leadership skills through challenge, risk-taking and ownership. The HLS is comprised of those students who are committed to leadership by example as well as the courage to be both learners and leaders in any given situation.”

So far, the Hyde Leadership Society is comprised of 23 seniors and one junior at its Bath, Maine campus and 15 seniors and seven juniors at its Woodstock, Connecticut campus.

When asked why they wanted to join the group, students spoke to the importance of this opportunity. “I joined the HLS so I could be part of a dedicated group of students who will challenge me and push me to continuously work harder,” shares senior Mac McGuire.

Juniors Dan Weintraub and Julia Biederman shared their collective view that the program will ensure their ability to become successful leaders in whatever they pursue after they graduate from high school. “I felt that I was in a good place to solidify my leadership and to set a good example,” states Biederman.

And what do students hope to get out of the Hyde Leadership Society? Across the board, members spoke to their hopes to further improve and expand their leadership.

“I want to continue to find my voice in the school,” says senior Mari Barnett, “and I’m hoping HLS will help me to find other ways to reach out to my peers and become even more engaged in the school.”

For more information about the Hyde Leadership Society and other Hyde School programs, contact Laura Michaels at lmichaels@hyde.edu, call 860-963-4763, or visit Hyde.edu.