Hyde Weekly – 12/4 – 12/10

BATH CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

Big Week in Basketball

Hyde Women’s Basketball Champions of the First Annual Aleigh Mills Memorial Tournament

The Hyde-Bath Varsity Women’s Basketball team opened their season with two victories over the weekend, winning against Hyde’s sister school from Woodstock and then bringing home the championship trophy from the Aleigh Mills Memorial Tournament held at Kents Hill School.  The tournament was established in honor of Aleigh Mills, a former Kents Hill student and basketball player who passed away last year.  In Friday night’s preliminary game Hyde-Bath celebrated its first victory against the Hyde-Woodstock team in four years, their last win being in the James Roman Tournament of 2006. Hyde-Bath led the entire game, bringing the margin to as many as 14 points at one point.  The final score was 19-31. The Hyde team found its leadership this weekend in senior Sage Harris, who was honored as the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player with 21 points in both Friday and Saturdays’ contests as well as seven steals on the weekend. The frontcourt duo of senior Alyssa Thomas and junior Laughlynn Bragg combined for 17 points and an outstanding 41 rebounds over the two games. Thomas also had five blocked shots in the two games, four of which came at key points in the final round on Saturday. Senior Lily Smith contributed to Hyde’s impressive rebounding efforts with 4 rebounds on Friday night and 8 rebounds on Saturday, playing the full 32 minutes in the championship game due mostly to her tenacious defense.  The final score was 38-41, Hyde-Bath.

James Roman Tournament

The Men’s Varsity Team also had a great weekend in basketball, playing two games for the James Roman Tournament, winning their first game on Friday against North Yarmouth Academy (53-29) and losing in a closely contested game against Hyde-Woodstock on Saturday, with the final score of 44-46.  Standouts over the weekend were junior Jonah Alexander, and sophomore Ben Burlock for their defensive play and work on the boards.  The offense was led by seniors Ted Cercos and Harry Smith along with senior Wes Freston and junior Chris Moulton who contributed during crucial stretches.

Senior Trip to the JFK Museum

On Tuesday the senior Government classes went to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston to conduct a unit on Civil Rights.  They spent the morning in a classroom setting analyzing primary documents, viewing video clips and discussing JFK’s political involvement in the Civil Rights movement during the 1960’s.  After the classroom activity, the students had the opportunity to tour the Museum and research specific exhibits.  Quotes from some of the seniors included, “I had no idea that JFK created the Peace Corps; that’s pretty cool,” and “I just touched the actual Berlin Wall!” After touring the Museum, seniors spent some down time in Quincy Market shopping and eating lunch.  Overall, the Boston trip was both informative and a great opportunity to bond as a class.

Know Yourself/Be Yourself

The Camden-Rockport Middle School invited Hyde School back this week to lead almost 100 7th grade students through the second installment of Know Yourself/Be Yourself, Hyde’s outreach program to encourage leadership and self-discovery in middle school students.

Thirty-nine Hyde students, mostly juniors and seniors, spent the morning of December 9th leading activities and discussions aimed at engaging the 7th graders with their deeper selves and each other.  The participants experienced Hyde’s tried and true “Who Am I?” and trust fall activities as well as rousing games of Yee Haw that allow everyone, even the middle school teachers, to “get out of themselves.”

The teachers at Camden-Rockport Middle School admired the Hyde students’ maturity, engagement and caring.  The 7th graders said a big, “Thank you!” for the Hyde students’ leadership and for their openness.  One 7th grade girl was heard to say, “You are my 7th grade best friend, but she is my Hyde best friend.”

The Hyde students not only give of their time and energy while facilitating, they also receive a great deal in return.  Here is what the Hyde students had to say about the value of KY/BY for themselves:

“Practicing leadership with a different age group helps my confidence.”

“I came into this expecting it to be boring and that I would just have to deal with it.  But after meeting the kids and doing the first activity, I realized how much fun I was having.  Doing this today made me see the leadership inside of me that I thought was slipping away.  I had a lot of fun and the kids were great.”

“This experience brought back some memories and gave me a chance to help kids be ready for the experiences ahead of them.”

“I value learning about how I teach and lead others.  I think the kids learned a lot about their peers.”

“This gave me confidence in doing things in which I am not comfortable.  I also realize I love working with kids.”

“I came here to be a teacher and a leader, but I learned a lot about myself too.”

“I learned to trust myself as a leader.”

COOL LINKS: James Roman Tournament | Malcolm’s Recent Post | Character Education | Unique View of Hyde Schools

WOODSTOCK CAMPUS HIGHLIGHTS

Winter Sports Begin!

The Woodstock gym is transformed in the winter months as the entire school fills every corner of the space.   With five basketball teams, wrestlers and faculty looking to bring their workout indoors, it becomes the hub of athletics.   This past weekend, several teams had the opportunity to test their teamwork.

Varsity Wrestling had their season opener this past Saturday with a quad meet. The Wolf Pack lost a “nail biter” against Williston Northampton, lost to a more experienced Suffield team and had a decisive win over Hopkins. Coach Jenkins cited some highlights with Marcos Mercado ’13, Alex Houston ’12, Kendrick Vincent ’12, James Ziede ’12, Zach Guidice ’12, and Jae Kang Lee ’14. The coach also commented on the team, “I am excited about this team, their attitudes and their potential.”

Women’s Varsity Basketball went to Kents Hill for a tournament and split results with a loss to Hyde-Bath and a victory over Kents Hill. The Men’s Varsity Basketball team traveled to Hyde-Bath for the James Roman Tournament where they won two exciting games – the first win over Kents Hill and the second game where the team hung on to beat Hyde-Bath by two points. Both basketball coaches were encouraged by the potential of the teams.

Learning from Each Other

The international center started a new initiative for this term which they have coined the Peer Immersion Program. PIP is designed to advance the immersion experience and challenge international students to be more aware of their English language learning. It requires intentional intrusion and collaboration from both groups. Both American and International students are the mentors. The pairs sit together at all school meetings and lunches. They meet twice a week where they learn about each other and ultimately create a Power Point Presentation that will reveal something that they have learned from each other. Mrs. Warnick and Ms. Guan will be checking with each pair during the term. This week, the program was kicked off with “twin day” as the pairs donned matching outfits to solidify their connections. Mrs. Warnick said, “At first, we were slow to start, but there is some excitement building for this program.”

Parent Academy

For the fifth year, the Woodstock community welcomed parents to Parent Academy, where the passions, insights and experience of Hyde parents transform the campus for a few days and students benefit from the resources in our parent body. This year, we offered the following classes:

Rick Chesley (Nate ’12) – Reading the Wall Street Journal, Legal Professions and Candy Making

Sharon DeNunzio (Sarah ’11) – Understanding Toxins
Mary Angel Coehlo (Anthony Callahan ’11)– Budget Skills and Risk Management

Deb Carreau (Adam ’11)/ Mrs. Beane (her mom)/Kerri Walsh/ Diane Rushin (Tom ’12)/ Pam Jussuame (Paige ’12) – Sewing

Irene Boudreau/Brooke Felt/Linda Felt (Bob ’90)/Cindy Guan – Knitting

Scott Trager (Sarah ’10, Alex ’12) – Off Roading

Kat Wren (Bath Parent of Chris Moreau ’13) – Turning Obstacles into Opportunities

Roger Sherman – Video Shooting

Dorothy Kalins (Lincoln ’11) – Magazine and Book Editing

Claude and Becky Errera (Ben ’12) – Peace Corps

Colin Fredericks – College Survival Tips

Paul and Kathy Connolly (Scott ’11) – Career Counseling

The offerings this year were excellent and the buzz around campus was felt by students, faculty and staff. Comments included:

The editing class was very helpful and gave me tips on working on my senior thesis project.”

“It’s great to work with parents in a different capacity.”

“I was knitting and it helped me reconnect to my grandmother who taught me to knit twenty years ago.”

“I was inspired by my Mom coming up to do this.”

Inspiration of the week: watching Hyde students tackle a new sport and in the process, find the potential for excellence.                  LDG/DM

COOL LINKS: Hyde Parent Academy | Character Education | Unique View of Hyde Schools | Boys Varsity Basketball