Wolfpack BVS Upsets 4th Seed Falmouth 5-1

Hyde School – 5

Falmouth Academy – 1

Thanks in large part to a dominant second half performance, the Hyde School Wolfpack climbed out of a one goal deficit to rattle off five unanswered goals to upset the 4th seeded Falmouth Academy team 5-1 in an SENE quarterfinal matchup.  Mother Nature did her part over the last few days in providing plenty of rain, which helped lead to a drenched Falmouth field, which in turn led to the game moving to Hyde’s beautiful turf in Woodstock, CT.

Just seven minutes into the match, Falmouth midfielder Mike Burchill shredded a lazy, lethargic Wolfpack defense to create an easy one-on-one opportunity against Wolfpack net minder Brian Sanz.  Sanz made a brilliant sprawling save that was tipped to Falmouth striker Ahmen Tashjian for an easy tip in to take a 1-0 advantage.  Little did Falmouth know that that would be the first and only time they would beat the Wolfpack defense on the day.  After a back and forth next ten minutes, the striker tandem of Chesley and Killeen would strike.  Senior midfielder Matan Peltier threaded a beautiful through ball down the left flank into the stride of junior Nate Chesley who found his forward counterpart Henry Killeen, who then quickly turned and ripped a shot just inside the near post to tie the game at 1.

After an inspiring halftime speech, a newly rejuvenated Wolfpack team emerged.  Seven minutes into the second frame, the Wolfpack attacked.  After junior midfielder Dan Weintraub retrieved a loose ball at midfield, he made a daring run down the right flank, dished it to Killeen, who paid the favor back to Chesley as he found Nate in front of net for an easy goal to take a 2-1 advantage.  The Wolfpack’s relentless pressure throughout the second half paid dividends in the final five minutes as the team went on a scoring rampage.  With six minutes remaining, stopper Richard Schuller bent a ball into the 18 yard box to newcomer Tim Cassidy who calmly settled the ball and volleyed it lefty into the top right corner of the net for a 3-1 advantage.  Just 90 seconds later off a routine save, goal tender Brian Sanz threw an outlet pass to Matan Peltier who took it the length of the field and upped the Wolfpack lead to 4-1.  To put the icing on the cake, another 90 seconds later Peltier drove a perfectly placed corner kick onto the head of Cassidy who notched his second goal on the day.  Strong second half defensive performances were turned in by the dynamic team of Graham Davidson ’13, Nick Dresch ’12, and Ethan Thoms ’12, who consistently thwarted Falmouth counterattacks.  This proved to be an inspired finish in what was otherwise an overall superior effort from the Wolfpack.

Due to the inclement weather on Monday, there is no time for the Wolfpack to rest on its laurels as it takes on 1st place and undefeated SENE rival Marianapolis tomorrow, Wednesday November 10th, at 2:00 pm at Marianapolis.