Michael Voorhees Dawes: Faculty Member, Coach, Long-time Friend of the Hyde School Community

From the President of Hyde Schools Malcolm Gauld

Dear Members of the Hyde Community,

mike-dawes
Michael V. Dawes

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that on Tuesday, July 6, our great friend and colleague, Mike Dawes, passed from the physical world to that spiritual realm about which he taught so many Hyde students in his Religion classes. Mike’s battle with cancer was both heroic and long, much longer than any of us expected. To the very end, he showed all of us that remarkable spirit of life that we have long known and loved. In fact, just last week he called me at home to thank me for the photograph we placed on the cover of this month’s report to the Hyde Board of Governors. (Mike is pictured seated on the lawn of his home with the boys of the Hyde-Woodstock Class of 2010. It was graduation morning and they were sporting the bow ties they all wore in Mike’s honor.) The fact that he would even think to make this call given his considerable discomfort, while fully cognizant of his own final hours, again speaks to the measure of the man.

Philosopher William James said, “The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it.” On the one hand, it is an understatement to say that James’ words apply to Mike. On the other, Mike earnestly lived by his father’s creed of E.I.M. – Everything in Moderation. Therefore, we’ll leave it at that, for now.

Speaking personally, for as long as I live I will cherish the gift of friendship I was fortunate to share with Mike. For the past 20 years, he has shown me how to live with purpose. During the past 20 days, he taught me how to die with dignity.

I know you all join me in offering your thoughts and prayers to Lynn and Mike’s family. While this is a sad day for Hyde, I take joy in the knowledge that Mike’s gifts will outlive all of us.

Onward,

malfullsig

Malcolm Gauld, President of Hyde Schools

Condolences and Memorial Service Details

• There will be a memorial service for Mike at Trinity Chapel, Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, on Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
  • There will also be a celebration of life service in Woodstock, Connecticut, held in September for the entire Hyde community, which will allow all who knew Mike to honor and celebrate his life (date and details to follow within the next weeks).
  • Letters of condolence can be sent to the Dawes family at:362 Thompson Hill Road
    Box 130
    Thompson, CT 06277
  • In lieu of flowers, the Dawes family graciously welcomes contributions to be directed to Hyde School, the Michael V. Dawes Scholarship Fund.

View obituary