Linda McGuire

Linda McGuire running around her apartment (literally), talking on her cell, and folding laundry at the same time.

Linda McGuire joined the Hyde-Woodstock faculty in 2005. Described as a warm presence and a force to be reckoned with, Linda is Assistant Dean of Students and teaches Freshman English.

My childhood nickname was: Pinney

My fondest memory is: I have many. But one that stands out is a sunny day in Dubrovnik when I was quite clear I had everything a person could ever ask for with my whole life ahead of me. Now that I have half my life behind me, I am aware I still enjoy the same things as I did that day: the sun, great friends, the ocean, a sense of adventure, riotous laughter and delicious food.

The soundtrack of my life is: Ricky Martin’s “La Vida Loca”

I retreat to: my bedroom to watch Rescue Me.

My wildest dream is: that Hyde decides to open a charter school in Philadelphia and they ask me to run it. A winning lottery ticket, a house on the Jersey shore, and my kids with both roots and wings would be nice perks as well.

My proudest moment was: after the birth of each of my kids I had an incredible sense of accomplishment and joy.

My dream car is: a 2010 Prius

My biggest challenge is/was: hmm…cancer is the easy answer. The more complex answer is finding balance and time to have work life, family life , private life and social life all be satisfying.

A perfect day is: a long run in the Adirondacks, followed by a swim in Rainbow Lake. The rest of the day would be spent reading on a screened in porch, enjoying great meals, and laughing with my family.

My first job was: I was a counselor at a camp for disadvantaged inner-city kids run by the city of Philadelphia.

An indulgence for me is: a pedicure. Oh, peanut butter fudge too!

My last purchase was: a shower head that was supposed to be the best ever. Laura Gauld and I got totally taken in by the hype. We walked out of the Woodstock fair, each with a new, too expensive to admit, neoprene shower head. However, the spray was NOT one bit different from the one I already had! We ended up returning them the next day.

My favorite movie is: ” The English Patient”

My favorite book is: Strange but True by John Searles

My inspiration is: my children and the glimpses I have had of myself at my best.

At Hyde I have a reputation for/am known as: keeping the male deans in line ( a full time job right there!) being all over the dress code, eating broccoli and lots of big salads, wearing bright colors, walking quickly, being quirky, enthusiastic, and a bit excitable at times…and I am a force to be reckoned with.

My three desert island foods are: broccoli, peanut butter, and a big bowl of fruit, cereal and yogurt all mashed up ( I know…cheating, right?)

Early in the morning you will often see me: running around my apartment (literally) and folding laundry at the same time. If you are really lucky, you may catch me typing email as while I do stationary lunges.

My life is: busy, joyful, full of laughs and fulfilling.