DeAngelis Shares Passion for Community Service with Hyde School Community

Simi DeAngelis ’10 presented her India experience to the entire student body during a morning meeting in the Hyde School Theater.

Simi DeAngelis brings passion to everything she puts her mind to—academics, athletics, and community service. A senior at Hyde School, DeAngelis recently showed that her passions are not just confined to her local pursuits.

DeAngelis spent this past summer in India, working with the Miracle Foundation at their Ranchi orphanage, the Sooch village for children. During a school meeting, DeAngelis shared her story with the Hyde School community through a brief presentation and photos.

“I loved working with the kids,” DeAngelis said to the student body. “Their situation was really tough, and I’m glad that I could do whatever I could.”

The Miracle Foundation, based out of Austin, Texas, works to support children in India through a network of homes.

“Their mission statement is that ‘we are dedicated to empowering children to reach their full potential, one orphan at a time,’” said DeAngelis. “While I was with the foundation, I worked at the orphanage in Ranchi. Seeing the excitement of the children on a daily basis, and their happiness, showed me the impact that individuals can have upon these kids just by playing with them.”

DeAngelis expressed her hope to get the whole student body involved through an Indiart project. She asked students to contribute pieces of art in order to help decorate the walls of the Sooch village for children.

“These children really inspired me,” said DeAngelis. “I want to try to continue to help them from a distance, and our art will make the Ranchi home much more comfortable for the children.”