Why I Enjoy 5:30 Workouts

As a dean at Hyde School in Woodstock, I have always participated right along with the students when I run a 5:30 workout. This workout serves as an accountability or attitude check for our student body. Most folks do not like waking up early to work out. I, however, am a morning person as well as a fan of physical fitness. Furthermore, doing the workout with the kids gives them a chance to see me out of my usual professional clothing and out from behind my desk. The students have a myriad of different reactions when they see that I am going to get sweaty with them. Some are impressed, some just decide I really am nuts, and others just see if they can outpace me. One of the best parts is when I do the warm-up and cool-down laps. I always run along side someone and chat about totally random topics. Keep in mind, this is still early in the morning and not too many teenagers are big talkers at this time of day. One time, a young man and I were running the perimeter of the gym and I was telling him all about this new television series I was enjoying. I was, of course, very enthusiastic and verbose and at one point he said, “Ms. McGuire, can we please just begin the regular workout”! Another morning, just last Thursday in fact, I taught some male students how to properly skip across the gym. A lively debate ensued about what exactly makes a skip different from a hop. I know I enjoyed myself…but, the jury may still be out when it comes to the opinions of the participants…