A New Year, A New Start

Forrest Smith
Forrest Smith

As Dean of Students at Hyde, one of my real pleasures at the start of the new school year is running the “Introductions.” The Hyde introduction, a time honored tradition, is comprised of each student and faculty stepping up onto stage and stating their name, age, hometown, number of years at Hyde, and their grade level. This tradition is painted as an opportunity for a fresh start, regardless of how well or poorly someone did the year prior. Seeing transformations occur in students and faculty is one of the many reasons I do what I do (sorry to steal your saying, Malcolm) and the Introduction is the first shot at doing so.

One of the early “transformations” I’ve seen is from Forrest Smith. Forrest, to put it mildly, had a difficult year last year. Struggling with everything from self-discipline to simple manners, Forrest has come back with a completely different attitude and everyone, faculty and students alike, have taken notice. On Wednesday night while doing my study hall rounds, I snuck into Forrest’s room and caught a glimpse I would not have believed a year ago – Forrest actually studying without poking and prodding. While I’m confident he will have some ups and downs this year, it is clear that Forrest has made the decision to start off on the right foot. Keep up the good work!