Image

Okay, I’ll admit it. The notion of hair “restoration” has crossed my mind. But, being the giver that I am, I ask myself if I had a full head of flowing locks, what would the kids torment me about? And so I let it go. At 28, the “skin yarmulke” I wear atop my head is less than flattering, but it’s certainly become part of who I am, but it doesn’t define me.

While flipping around the channels this evening I tuned into an HBO Documentary titled, “Youth Knows No Pain.” The filmmaker explores the growing trend in America’s youth obsession with beauty products and plastic surgery. Needless to say that interviews with teenagers, good looking teenagers at that, depicting their every flaw was painful to watch. However, I wasn’t terribly surprised. As I prepare for the start of another school year, I’m anxiously awaiting the teenage “images” that will appear on campus tomorrow. The dismantling of a teenager’s material image and subsequent work on finding out who they really are is among the great things we do here at Hyde. Rather than valuing the earrings, the makeup, the labels, or the group of friends, we value the important stuff. By having our singers run 5k’s, making our athletes sing solos, and forcing our princesses to work in the dishroom, we’re helping everyone build self-confidence every day by testing our limits. Can’t wait for the start of another great year!