An Opportunity to Recover Credits or Improve GPA
Hyde School is running an academic summer program, Hyde Summer Session, for new and current students who
- need to finish or improve current school-year courses and improve grade point averages, or
- need credit recovery or credit advancement.
These students include those whose current academic averages are failing or are near failing, those who began the school year late and need extra time to fulfill their credit requirements, and those who need recovery or advancement course credits to strengthen their transcript.
Most importantly, Hyde Summer Session consists of the same primary components of other Hyde programs: a character-based curriculum, consisting of a demanding code of ethics, high learning standards, and a course format that encourages self-discovery through risk-taking and challenge.
This program is a structured opportunity for current and new students to:
- Improve or finish current year course averages by making up missed or substandard assignments and completing extra-credit assignments. Students in this category will need, on-average, one week of programming per course.
- Gain new or make-up course credits by taking full or half credit courses. Students desiring a new course credit or to gain make-up course credits will be required to participate for the entire program.
- Develop learning strategies for active reading, math skills, note taking, organization skills, research skills, study skills and test preparation.
- Develop enhanced learning attitudes that lead to improved academic performance and time management.
Academic assistance will be offered in the five core curricular areas: English, Math, History, Spanish and Science. The teacher-student ratio will be 1:3. Each student’s academic course will be individualized to address areas of greatest need.
The weekday schedule for the summer academic program will emphasize academics but will, in addition, have students participate in specific job responsibilities around the school. Students will also exercise daily and engage in self-exploration and self-growth activities, such as journal writing and ropes course activities. Weekend schedules will offer a structured change of pace to include wilderness recreational activities, cookouts, beach trips and other trips to dinner, movies, and exhibits.
Weekly Update: Parents will receive (via e-mail) a weekly update on the program.
A Typical Day:
8:00 Housekeeping Jobs and Inspection
8:30 Academic “Ah-Ha” (an inspiring academic start to the day).
9:00 Academic Session 1
1:00 Academic Session 2
3:30 Academic Session 3 & Guided Study Hall
7:30 Supervised Recreation
10:00 Lights Out
Location: Hyde School’s Bath, Maine campus
Course Director: Crystal Peltzer, Director of Studies
Dates: Session #1: May 31st – July 9th, Session #2: July 9th – August 6th
Tuition: $1,650 per week – Checks payable to Hyde School. Send checks to;
Hyde School Business Office
616 High Street
Bath, ME 04530
Registration: To reserve a place in Hyde’s Summer Academic Program, contact:
- Crystal Peltzer, (207) 443-7199 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rolling admissions is available for full-boarding and day-student candidates.