Peter Gels Woodstock ’08, “Keep learning about yourself because there is a lot more life to live and a lot more experiences to have.”

Peter Gels - Alumni Feature

This week we talked to Peter Gels, another Woodstock alumnus with fond memories of Mike Dawes! After graduating from Hyde in 2008 Peter studied at Massachusetts Maritime Academy, became a Marine Engineer and worked onboard Liquefied Natural Gas Tankers, travelling the world! Currently Peter is an Assistant Quality Assurance Manager at Boston Ship Repair. Thank you for sharing your story and advice with us Peter!

Describe your career path:
“After graduating Hyde, I studied at Massachusetts Maritime Academy to become a marine engineer. Upon graduation, I began working for Hoegh LNG onboard Liquefied Natural Gas Tankers, travelling the world onboard the ship half the time, and home on leave the other half. After a little more than 5 years, I left that company and I started as an Assistant Quality Assurance Manager at Boston Ship Repair in July 2017.”

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?
“Integrity – I am gifted with a Unique Potential, and conscience is my guide to discovering it. Personal growth and development never stopped at Hyde. As the years have gone by, I have learned more about myself every day and about the importance to be true to myself and to maintain my integrity, even when things get challenging.”

Which teacher had a particular impact on you?
“Michael Voorhees Dawes was one of the first people I spoke to at Hyde and helped my transition into the school. I remember speaking to him about my hopes, dreams, and about what I wanted to get out of my time at Hyde. Since then, I have graduated, pursued my dreams, and enjoyed all the moments getting there. Rest in Peace Mike Dawes.”

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?
“You are always changing and it is important to continue to discover new things about yourself. Find out what your passions are and find out what defines you. Be true to yourself, your values, and who you are. Keep learning about yourself because there is a lot more life to live and a lot more experiences to have.”