Aine Zaniewski, Woodstock ’13, “My conscience pushed me to challenge my comfort zones”

Aine Zaniewski '13

Our latest Alumni Feature is Aine Zaniewski, Woodstock ’13. Aine graduated in May 2017 from Dickinson College as an American Studies major with a minor in Political Science. Aine worked at Hyde as a college intern in the summer and we were fortunate enough to have her stay with us in the Admissions Office as an Admissions Associate, as a Discovery Group Leader, and as a Dorm Parent. Aine has been an enthusiastic addition to the campus! Thank you for sharing your story with us Aine!

Describe your career path:
“I graduated in May 2017 from Dickinson College as an American Studies major with a minor in Political Science. American Studies is an interdisciplinary examination of American culture, history, politics, and phenomena through platforms such as literature, music, film, sociology, etc. I felt that it challenged my perspectives and judgements of American identity and power structures and massively aided in the development of my critical thinking. However, a career path for an American Studies major is not necessarily cut and dry. While in college, I dabbled in waitressing, retail, interning at a Finance firm, and working at Hyde as a College Intern. Upon graduating, I received a perfectly timed phone call from Stacey Brooks, and ended up at Hyde again for the summer of 2017. While working for the June Program and Summer Challenge I learned of an open position in the Admissions Office and everything seemed to fall into place! I am now working in the Admissions Office as an Admissions Associate, and I am also a Discovery Group Leader and a Dorm Parent.”

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?
“Conscience. I can remember moments from when I was a little kid and feeling that all too familiar gut inkling when something was not sitting quite right. The community that Hyde provided allowed me to transform that ‘gut feeling’ into action. When my time at Hyde came to an end, I found that conscience actively remained my guide throughout college. My conscience pushed me to challenge my comfort zones academically (opting for a major with a thesis requirement), socially (I was president of my sorority), and personally (studying abroad in Italy).”

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?
“Rachel Folan. Although I never had Rachel as a classroom teacher, she left a lasting impact on me as both a soccer coach and a mentor. She never lowered the bar and continually challenged me to look inward, face the things I feared, and to do the hard things. Rachel was a role model as a woman of grit, honesty and strength. As a student, Rachel and Kevin opened their home to me, let me babysit their kids, and I am very grateful for the continued relationship I have with them!”

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?
“Buy in and trust the process!”