Jason Bergh ’95: “I thought about giving up a hundred times but I’m so happy I didn’t.”

We had the pleasure of catching up with Hyde-Bath alumnus Jason Bergh ’95 this week. Jason’s courageous efforts have brought him to Los Angeles, CA where he launched his company UX Entertainment Group. Jason is currently working in Television and Documentary Production, he has produced films for ESPN’s 30 for 30 series, Red Bull TV and much more. Thank you for sharing your story and advice with all of us Jason!

Please describe your career path:

“After college I was lucky enough to stumble upon a little magazine in NYC called “The Fridge” where I began my career as a filmmaker and writer.  The magazine would throw events all over the country merging together hip hop and action sports.  It was my job to document these events and the culture surrounding it.  Two of my favorite things on the planet at the time, I was in heaven.

After a few years of doing this I decided to pack my bags, a U-Haul, a newborn baby and my girlfriend (at the time) and drive to Los Angeles to further my career.  The first year was rough and filled with lots of ups and downs. I thought about giving up a hundred times but I’m so happy I didn’t.  When I landed out here about a year later I was introduced to an executive at Interscope Records. That pretty much changed the game for me and helped launch my company UX Entertainment Group.  We were hired to produce content for musical artists that ranged from bands just beginning to some of the biggest musical acts on the planet.  In heaven AGAIN!

I got lucky, that introduction to the executive changed my life.  After about 5 years of this type of work I transitioned into Television and Documentary production and found myself producing films for ESPN’s 30 for 30 series, Red Bull TV and a slew of branded content. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t understand and appreciate that I really am truly lucky. I got to follow in my father’s footsteps in this business and did it by forging my own path, with my own voice.”

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?

“They all have a special meaning to me but the one that stands out the most would have to be Courage.  Without that none of the above is possible.”

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?
“Mr. Romac, hands down and unequivocally my favorite teacher.  For some reason we just clicked. He knew how to get the best out of me and I never wanted to disappoint him.  He made me think, he helped me understand that I can achieve things in school and life.”

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?

“Trust the process, it’s one that I questioned a lot when I was at Hyde.  As I’ve grown older I realize more and more that the core values that were instilled upon me there have had a significant positive effect on me as an adult. Without Hyde I don’t think I would be in the position I’m in today. I learned a lot at a very young age.”