#50reasonstoreturn

Just over a half-century ago, the following opinion piece appeared in the Bath Daily Times.

50 Hyde Bath Daily Times
While then Editor Peter Cox (RIP) was primarily making an economic case for the founding of Hyde, I’m confident that we have made good on his hope that we might prove to be a force for financial good in Midcoast Maine.

Much has changed since the above piece appeared in December of 1965.  For one, The Bath Daily Times merged long ago with the then weekly Brunswick Record to become The Bath-Brunswick Times Record.  We have much to celebrate, and celebrate we will on the weekend of June 3-5, 2016.

In fact, we are planning the biggest shindig Hyde has ever seen and we want anyone and everyone who has any association with Hyde to return to campus and help us do it.

Toward this end, in the weeks leading up to our celebration, I will present 50 reasons why you should make the pilgrimage to Bath.  Here’s Reason #1:

50 hallet's clock
If you went to Hyde, you probably checked the time on this clock.  If you are kicking it old school from the 60s and 70s, you may well have done so while sipping a vanilla coke inside Hallet’s Drug Store.  Hallet’s has been gone for decades, but it was replaced by an excellent clothing store for men and women called The House of Logan. (Guys: They have an awesome 70% off section!)  The clock remains.

Reason #2:50 Ducks

I mean, there’s a reason we call it the Duck Pond. We’ve always had ducks at Hyde.  When Gordon Murray (RIP, one of my all-time favorite Hyde people!)  worked in the maintenance department, he used to take them to his house for the winter. (I once asked him if his family liked duck eggs for breakfast.  He replied, “They’ve learned to.”)… I recall an alum years back who was apparently miffed at some now forgotten policy.  Come annual fund time, he replied to our request for financial support with something to the effect of: “I’m not supporting Policy X, but I will give some dollars to support the ducks.”  Fair enough.

Reason #3: Go global.50 Globe

This awesome globe has held court in the Mansion since the very beginning.  In fact, I’m pretty sure it was Mr. Hyde’s.  Come check it out!

More to come.  Onward, Malcolm Gauld