Dexter Lockhart Jenks ’10, “Hyde shows itself most in my work ethic”

Dexter Jenks

We caught up with Hyde-Bath alumnus Dexter Lockhart Jenks ’10 from Gorham, Maine. After having discovered his unique potential for singing and songwriting at Hyde, he is now pursuing a career in the creative industries. We asked him our usual four questions:

Describe your career path.

I graduated from the College of Charleston in 2014 with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Vocal Performance. I have been part of a touring rock band called South Street since I attended college. We have toured venues along the east coast as well as the US Virgin Islands. I will be moving to NYC to pursue a career in modeling, using this as a means to an end, the end being music, as always.

Which word or principle has stayed with you the most?

Hyde shows itself most in my work ethic. Time and time again, I walk into a room as the least experienced and least talented person. However, my work ethic that I achieved at Hyde has allowed me to keep up with and even surpass those around me. I let people see me struggle until I let them see me succeed.

Which teacher(s) had a particular impact?

Casey Mercer will always hold a place in my heart. She was my Spanish teacher and Discovery Group Leader. She arrived at Hyde the same year I did, and I watched her face her own life obstacles with and open and eager heart, which inspired me to follow in a similar fashion.

What advice might you give to a Hyde student?

High School is definitely not the pinnacle of your time on this earth. Don’t take yourself so seriously, and listen to those with more experience, A.K.A. your elders.

_______________________________________________

Are you an alum who would like to be featured on hyde.edu?

Email us at alumni@hyde.edu to share your story.