The Future Plans and Reflections of Six 2015 Graduates

At Hyde we have the privilege of working with an exceptional group of young people, and to be part of their growth as they challenge themselves to discover their unique potential and develop their character to its fullest. Graduation gives us time to reflect on the tremendous accomplishments of those moving on to college, taking with them the skills they learned at Hyde as well as some great memories. We asked a few of our graduates this year to share what they most valued about their time at Hyde and to give us a glimpse into their future plans. Then we also asked them to leave some advice for the undergrads.

Kiefer Cundy

Kiefer Cundy '15
Kiefer Cundy ’15

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Harpswell, Maine

What college are you attending?

Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA

What are you looking forward to the most there?

I’m really looking forward to playing on the men’s varsity soccer team at Muhlenberg next year. I’m also excited to test myself in a different environment, and to meet new people.

How do you feel Hyde has prepared you for the next phase of your education?

I feel that Hyde has developed my work ethic. The structured study halls and constant support has helped me develop my time management for my classes.

What is one thing that you have learned here that you will take with you?

One thing that I’ve learned from Hyde is to always push myself in every area of my life, especially the areas where I struggle.

What will you miss most about Hyde?

The thing that I will most about Hyde is my close connection to all the faculty members. These relationships acted as my support system away from home and I will always be grateful for that.

Do you have any advice for the undergraduates?

My advice for the undergraduates is to keep all your options open when looking at colleges. Lastly, do research on the colleges that you are looking at so when you visit you have a list of questions to ask your tour guide.

Angel Sima

Angel Sima '15
Angel Sima ’15

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Jiangsu, China

What college are you attending? 

Boston University in Boston, MA

I am really looking forward to the academic experience at BU. I want to know which major I will like the most and figure out what I want to be in the future. I am looking forward to more opportunities and joining some great programs in college so that I can prepare for my life better. I am also very excited about the libraries they have in BU.

I feel Hyde has prepared me by the three questions, “Who am I? Where am I going? And how can I get there?” Those three questions help me build my vision about my life. It’s my compass towards the future.

I would say asking for help. I used to keep all of my feelings to myself, but sometimes I could be overwhelmed. The Hyde experience helped me learn how to connect with others and ask for help when I needed it. Teamwork can create a better vision.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

The most things I will miss about Hyde will be the close relationship in this community, especially for our senior class. We have gone through a lot of problems and senior evaluation together, and built the trust between each other. I am so grateful that I met all of them. I will definitely miss them in the future.

The advice I have for the undergraduates is to treat English and Ethics seriously. These two classes are very helpful and meaningful. If you engage in the class and finish all the readings, you can get plenty of knowledge. Be proud of yourself if you get chosen to be the leader in the group study.

Maria Cristina Boeckel

Cristina Boeckel '15
Cristina Boeckel ’15

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Old Bridge, New Jersey

What college are you attending?

Columbia College in Chicago, Illinois

I’m looking forward to new opportunities and meeting new people.

I feel I am most definitely prepared for the college work load because of my English 12 class. We learned almost everything we would need to know about writing papers.

I have learned that I am capable of anything I set my mind to.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I will miss art faculty member Ms. Wilkey very much.

Never be afraid to be who you really are even if you don’t fit in. Remember there is only one of you and it is not your job to be like everyone else.

Leonard Moore

Leonard Moore '15
Leonard Moore ’15

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Belle Glade, Florida

What college are you attending?

Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts

I am really looking forward to playing football for Assumption.

Hyde has taught me discipline and time management skills.

I have learned that being humble will take you far.

What will you miss most about Hyde?

I am going to miss all the friends I made at Hyde and all of the fun I had playing sports with my friends.

School will be over before you know it so be sure to enjoy every moment you have with your friends.

Gigi Moyan Chen

Gigi Chen '15
Gigi Chen ’15

Hyde-Bath
Hometown: Beijing, China

What college are you attending?

Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles, CA

Since I came to Hyde I realize that I’m more used to being in a small community. I like the feeling that people know each other, and we are a family. Going to college is not easy for everyone, especially if they are from a different country. So having a lot of friends support will always be helpful.

I will be majoring in interior design. This year at Hyde I was in the AP Art class. For class, different people will have different concentrations, which we needed to discover for ourselves. The topic we choose is always really personal and I like  connecting my artwork and my life. I wasn’t sure before what I should major in, but in the middle of the process, I felt maybe I should try majoring in art, because art has been my passion through my sophomore to my senior year.

How to stand up for others and myself is something I learned from my four years here. It always has been a struggle for me to speak up. From my freshman year, I was so quiet and not confident at all. Through the years, faculty and peers have challenged me. My public speaking skills are getting better and better.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

The connection with the faculty here, they are not just playing the role of mentor, they are playing the role of our friends, too. When I have struggles I will always have at least one faculty to be my go-to person.

Be open for the feedback, not saying all the feedback is useful, just take that as advice. If that feedback actually hurts you or you are feeling really strongly about it, probably that is what you need to work on.

Douglas Main

Doug Main '15
Doug Main ’15

Hyde-Woodstock
Hometown: Newton, Connecticut

What college are you attending?

Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island

I am looking forward to becoming fully independent and relying on the lessons I have learned at Hyde. With the rigorous schedule here, I have learned how to manage my time between athletics and schoolwork.

Hyde has played a huge role in the way I act behind closed doors, making me feel ready to be responsible for my life and to be successful and happy. General dorm life is also going to play a big role because I will already have an idea of what to expect compared to other freshmen who will be away from home for the very first time.

One very important thing that I have learned here is the skill of money management. Through the years I’ve been here I have learned a lot about what I need to spend my money on versus what I want to spend my money on.

What will you miss the most about Hyde?

I will miss the close knit community and all of the opportunities that have been presented to me to help me succeed and be the person I am today.

Don’t take this process for granted. I see a lot of students not embracing the Hyde process and they don’t tend to be very happy here. Once you embrace the process your life starts to come together and you become a much better person.